Although Mount Rushmore was completed in 1941, it was dedicated fifty years later, by President George H. W. Bush on July 3, 1991. This last dedication was for the work as a whole, which hadn't happened in spite of six earlier dedications. The first dedication took place in 1925, after the site was selected. Another dedication by President Calvin Coolidge followed on August 10, 1927, also taking place before work on the sculptures had begun. After each of the four sculptures was completed, a dedication ceremony took place.
Charles E. Rushmore, a New York lawyer, became associated with the granite peak, otherwise known as Slaughterhouse Rock, in the late 1880s, when he was a frequent visitor to the area. Before that the Lakota Sioux called it the Six Grandfathers.