3 of 61 photos

Titanic Arms

A memorial to the men who gave their lives to save women and children when the Titanic sank in 1914 was largely paid for by one dollar donations from the women of the United States. Completed in 1918 but not dedicated until 1931, it stands today along the Potomac waterfront in an out-of-the-way location at 4th and P streets SW. Designed by noted patron of the arts Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, it was sculpted by John Horrigan from a single piece of red granite.