9 of 41 photos

Buffalo Bridge

Four buffalo stand at the corners of a bridge over Rock Creek Park at Q street that connects the Georgetown and DuPont Circle neighborhoods. Dumbarton Bridge is still referred to as the buffalo bridge. It was installed in 1915 at a time when art was often integrated into the design of public works and buildings. The sculptor of the four buffaloes was Alexander Phimister Proctor.